WARNING: This may be a very long post so I allow you to ctrl+f ( first launch ) if you can’t or don’t want to read it all in one go.
Since I like jamming every random thought I have into whatever I want to say, I may as well continue doing it. Happy almost one month anniversary to my WordPress!
I’m pretty sure none of you were here on the first day started this blog (aside from that random guy in India who popped in), because I made it on a whim. The first translated chapter (ATG Prologue) was posted two days after this WordPress was created, Anyway, I’m surprised at how far I’ve come with translating the random web novels that I found interesting. At the almost one month mark, I now have other casual translators with me who joined because they wished to help me release my projects faster. I repeat yet again, we, the team are a bunch of casuals that do whatever we want so there is no set schedule for any of the main projects. Please click the Manual Progress Report on the side if anyone of you are fidgeters. I believe only custom websites have progress bars.
On to the main topic of this post: my summer plans. I had thought long and hard about this! My first about me page mentioned that I wasn’t sure about my mid-to-end of May plans. That’s because, like most of the translators, I’m still a student (surprise!). Now would be around the time I start looking for a summer job. However, with the current influx of translators that give readers a sponsored chapter option for extra chapters, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in me doing that as well. If this happens, there will be a separate sponsoring button unrelated to website/support donation button already present. If otherwise, chapter releases may dwindle even further than this random casual pace once I start my future summer job.
I’m also thinking of making separate donation buttons for the translators on my team if they chose to accept donations. You can say that I work with all of them on the main projects but since my current translation focus is (SUPPOSE TO BE) ATG, so I believe that they deserve any random donation that come their way for their translated stuff.
I got a little off topic. Back to my thoughts about my future summer plans. What do you guys think I should do? I was thinking of making that sponsored thing for ATG. It’s longer and classier than most modern Chinese web novels currently being translated (it should be 2x longer than average), so reading it is wonderful and all, but I’m getting bored of translating it every since rhyein poofed and Neko decided to live on a different continent (HOW DARE HE). Anyway, another reason why I considered this was because Neko recently told me that he planned to start his haitus come summer. That would make me the sole translator for ATG once he leaves us to slay his dragons.. 😦
If no one noticed yet, I have a pretty short attention span, which was why I dabbled in many things. If this sponsoring thing goes into effect, I could probably commit 3-4 chapters a week of ATG until the end of august. Currently, ATG has around 3500-4000 Chinese characters per chapter so far and its amount of idioms is at the level of NOT COOL and NOT MODERN. I came up with the number 3-4 because I have translated around that much before, so I’m sure I can continue to do so if I’m not distracted. Committed chapters may even increase if the novel hits a turning point. Well, the number’s just one I made up so I can have time to do any sponsored chapters, subtranslations (am I using this word right?) of my other main projects, and other stuff I want to do as well. Keep in mind that the 3-4 commitment chapters will not include the chapters other translators translate for ATG. Unless they want it to. Why would they want to? Am I that amazing for people to want to work for the money I would get? Or maybe we can split it? I’ll talk to them later about it.
So yeah, my readers! Give me your opinions about what you feel! Since some people’s favorite number happens to be 80, I will start around there too. I still haven’t verified the random paypal I made for the donation button (lol), but I promise I will do it before the first donation expires! Donations expire after a month so I still have until the 20ish, I think (>.<).
Another thing. I see most groups announcing the names of their donators but I'm pretty wary about that stuff. A question to donators: does it matter to you whether or not people announce your names before a chapter? I have a static thank you message on my donations page, but I wouldn’t mind doing it if people can be appreciated by the readers as well. Actually, I’ll just announce the names unless the donator specifically asks that I don’t!
Although the paypal account still has not been verified, donations can still be received. I just cant use the $$ until I verify the account. I will make the sponsor button when I get home today. If it reaches $80 in sponsored extra chapters by the end of next week, I will execute this plan! If it doesn’t reach $80 by end of next week, the $$ will transfer into the funds of our future website and I will get just find a job. However if this happens, since it isn’t really a solid guaranteed “job”, I will think about it whether or not to continue executing this plan near the end of every month if I have cleared the queues. As a reminder, this sponsor button is only for ATG at the moment.
tl;dr – Please scroll down for my thoughts after reading comments. They are the real stuff you need to read. xD!!
- alyschu wants $$
- alyschu will make the sponsor button when back home
- alyschu is thinking about opening sponsored releases for ATG over the summer
- commit 3-4 chapters a week (probably once every 2 days)
- will not include the chapters other translators translate unless they want it to
- would replace a summer job and last until end of august
- sponsor chapters via the sponsor button
- will start if a chapter has been fully sponsored ($80 total)
- will think about whether or not to continue sponsored chapter plan near the end of every month if I have cleared the queues
- commit 3-4 chapters a week (probably once every 2 days)
If I get interested enough in doing this or the novel hits a cool turning point, the committed chapters may increase. These are all my thoughts, tell me yours. Have questions? Ask now before it’s too late! Give me your opinion before I cement the committed chapters. Give me your opinion about the cost per chapter. Give me your opinion on cheesecake. I won’t apologize to anyone offended about me wanting a summer job because that’s just weird. Do not be afraid to share your thoughts!
Disclaimer: I think I think too much.. also I don’t really like cheesecake..
Random Rant/Question: I heard there’s a button that doesn’t make me moderate messages of new commentators, where the hell is it?
I think I found it
Stuff people (and my imagination) have suggested:
– 3 chapters a week, unlimited number of bonus chapters at $50 a chapter (of my choice)
– get a job! ppl r crazy!! beware of online predators!!
Stuff I don’t know
– how to progress bar?
Justification (?) of the number 80 for sponsored chapters by only character length
ATG – 3500-4000ish so far (cost??)
CD – he says 3500-4000ish 80$
MGA – 2000-2300ish (didn’t give count but should be like normal) 80$
GDW – 2000-2300ish 30$
SYWZ – 2000-2300ish 40-60$
My thoughts after reading comments so far:
– First launch! – I will be doing a 1 week trial period if sponsor button reaches 80$. The one week trial period will accept sponsored bonus chapters at 50$ per chapter if it passes the 80$ mark. If it doesn’t hit 80$ by 05/16/2015, launch will fail and I will go get a job.
– If launch succeeds: I may or may not increase the amount per chapter depending on how I feel about translating ATG after the one week trial. If you want cheaper bonus chapters, that trial period is the ideal time to throw $$ at bonus chapters. Even if I decide to increase the amount per chapter, I’m 100% sure that it won’t exceed 80$ per chapter because I’m too chicken to exceed another translator’s sponsored amount. Any extra $$ left over that can’t be rounded to $50 will transfer over to whatever amount I feel it should be after the 1 week period. It may even stay the same depending on my feels. Let’s all hope the next few chapters will be fun and exciting…
– If 80$ has been fufilled on 05/09/2015, the 1 week trial will start on the following Sunday, 05/10/2015. If 80$ has been fufilled by 05/16/2015, trial will start that following Sunday, 05/17/2015. In other words, it will start on Sunday.
– Will commit 3 chapters a week (or once every 2 days)
– Will try to do at least 2 bonus chapters a week. May be more!
– If this happens, I won’t be lazy and slack off on the # of committed chapters because this will replace my summer job
– Committed # of chapters by me will be consistent and won’t include other translator’s translations of ATG. But what about the bonus chapters? On the topic of getting over-stressed and what not, I was wondering how you guys would feel I used another translator’s translation of a chapter (edited&approved by me of course) for a bonus chapter and they receive your $$ for the bonus chapter. This would inspire and encourage more people to translate ATG whether for fun or for monetary reasons (and join my team, hoho). I don’t think it’s fair to exclude them from my money-making scheme of a summer job if they can also benefit from it too! I know that you can transfer money from paypal to paypal, so I just need to force them to make a paypal. The requirement to understand Chinese and translate an entire chapter would still hold though. No skipping!! Maybe I can get a cut of the bonus chapter they translated. Like 30%. Or 10%. Or 5%. Or 1%. Will depend on how long I take to edit their translation, I guess. This idea may be one way to lower the cost per chapter and may even induce even faster releases!! I can call it the alyschu Summertime Madness!! This devious summertime plan of mine may even encourage more people to brush up on their Chinese!!
– Sponsor button is now a dog button